CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mushroom Soup and Jeremy Sisto

In an attempt to be healthy tonight we tried another recipe on Pinterest. We've been out of town for the past weekish and I was ready for home-cooked food instead of Subway or restaurant food. Steven really liked this soup. I'm not the biggest mushroom lover so it was "eh" for me, but if you are fond of mushrooms you should try this. I ended up kind of veering away from healthy to some degree. Steven and I decided that we didn't want the soup by itself so I pan fried a chicken breast for us to share and served the soup over steamed white rice. It was kind of a throwback to my childhood because my mom used to make this same meal except with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup. Anyway, even though it was "eh" for me I still felt pretty good about the fact that mushrooms are jam packed full of Vitamin D. There are two cups of chopped mushrooms in the soup, so I hooked it up.

I'm gonna put the recipe down a little ways, but can first can I just talk about Jeremy Sisto? Remember him from "Clueless"? He was El-Un. He was also on "Six Feet Under" and some other stuff, but to me he will always be El-Un. He's in the new show called "Suburgatory", and it is really cute! I think he's doing such a good job with the gal that plays his daughter. So cute! If you haven't seen it, it's about a single dad and his high school aged daughter who move from NYC to the 'burbs and how different their lives are compared to before. The daughter Tessa is played by Jane Levy, and she is adorable. I can see her doing great things with her career...as long as she doesn't go all Lindsay Lohan and stuff.

Okay, so here's the recipe. I got it from Pinterest, but it looks like it was originally from here: http://blog.seasonwithspice.com/2011/12/cream-of-mushroom-soup-recipe.html. But here it is, y'all:

Mushroom Soup


(The above picture is from the website noted above. Mine looked similar..minus the yummy looking bread.)

2 cups fresh mushrooms - cleaned and chopped finely (I used baby bellas and some white mushrooms from Whole Foods)
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic - chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 - 2 bay leaf
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbsp flour dissolved in 1 tbsp water
Salt to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
Dash of nutmeg
Black pepper to taste

*I didn't notice that whole heavy cream thing when I was making my grocery list so I just added more milk and more flour...came out fine.
* Also, I used vegetable broth instead of stock and I added a good amount extra to keep the soup from getting too thick.

Here's what you do:

1. Heat olive oil in a sauce pan. Add butter and lightly sauté garlic on medium heat.
2. Add in mushrooms, thyme, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the moisture from the mushrooms disappears.
3. Add in chicken broth. Stir occasionally until broth boils, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4 Add diluted flour and stir constantly (while simmering) until the mixture thickens. Season with salt and nutmeg.
5. Add milk and heavy cream, and bring to a simmer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment